Rev'd John Tertius Phillips

Born in Llangynidr in 1858, John spent his early years in Scethrog with his parents, John and Ann, in a house called Mount Pleasant which was reputed to be the building used by Scethrog Congregational Church.

His father was a fishery keeper. In 1861 he had a brother, Evan, aged 19 who was ‘disabled through illness’. The family continued to live in Scethrog until John was 13. The house was then described in the Census as ‘Phillips Cottage’. It is recorded between ‘Skethrog House’ and ‘Tower’.

By 1901 John would have become a Congregational Minister and judging by the places of birth of his children, he served in Welshpool and New Tredegar as well as Penarth where we find him living. The History of Congregationalism in Cardiff & District – published in 1920 – records Bethel, Plassey Street, as the first Welsh non conformist chapel in Penarth, formed in 1864. By the time Revd Phillips was in charge membership had shrunk with the relocation of Welsh speaking families to Barry where the opening of Barry Docks brought more opportunities for employment.

He and his wife Annie had 6 children: in 1901 Aldwyn, aged 18, was clerk to a Shipowner; Benjamin, 17, a ministerial student; Evan 8; Maggie 7; Nellie 5 and Lily 3.

The 1911 Census records the couple with one daughter living at Mount Pleasant in Scethrog. The property may be located between Scethrog House and the ‘Noyadd’ [Neuadd ?] Neuadd was referenced as another location where the early members met to worship in Scethrog, before renting Mount Pleasant. Local history group members have since researched early maps and records and it is thought that the site of Mount Pleasant cottage is now where Brynhyfryd stands nearby Neuadd.

He died while living back at the same house in Scethrog in which he spent his early life – Mount Pleasant. He left the sum of £711.1sh to his widow when he died on 21 September 1916.